Re: TECH: Post trip report

david vuillardot <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:59:36 -0700

text/plain

nice video... yes I agree you're looking "high-reving
Hi James and all

nice video... yes I agree you're looking "high-reving & slow" but I don't think I would do better... even if I live just a few miles from the ring! Seen from the outside, this track looks too bumpy, narrow and dangerous to be enjoyable at a full extent.

There is another track not far either from there which deserves some interest I believe. It is a formula 1 race track so the standard of safety is much higher for the cars, drivers and passengers and the quality of pavement is perfect (I had made a few laps on it with my C5 in the old days). I'm sure you know Spa-francorchamp as it is also the one most professional drivers like the best with "le raidillon de l'eau rouge".
(http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raidillon_de_l'Eau_Rouge)

Here are some pics made this summer at Spa Francorchamp :
http://www.powermaster.lu/events/2006/07/24hspa_proximus/

By the way James, your computer year is setup to 2003... you're 3 years late mate! :-)

David
'93 LPE/Jealed 368ci ZR1 #397

----- Original Message ----
From: James Young <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 12:36:10 AM
Subject: [ZR1] TECH: Post trip report

I got back from a European trip with Sally my girlfriend on Saturday, which
took in France, Italy Switzerland, Austria, Germany and Holland. But the
main reason being a return trip to the Nurburgring, the weather was
beautiful, and the crowds were out. While the track wasn't packed it was
very busy with everything from buses to wanabe race drivers lapping in high
7's and low 8's, if somebody appears in your rear view mirror you are
required to get out of their way (it is not a race) which makes it quite
hectic if you are not the fastest out there. I have in the past tried to go
to the Ring in the mid week to stay away from the crowds, however this time
according to the Ring web site

http://www.nuerburgring.de/home/index.html?L=1

there wasn't going to be any mid week opening so it had to be a weekend
visit. There were an equal number of upsides to downsides in this decision,
as in meeting lots of hardcore Ring fans, Aussie Dave a Lotus Elise driver
has done over 500 laps this year. Sally was brave enough to take a passenger
lap with a Scotsman called Neil who drives an Elise with a tuned Honda Type
R engine in it, they did a lap in 8 mins! The Regulars described the weekend
as crashy, I'll say, we were yellow flagged  minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4
times on each of the laps we did for crashes, mainly bikes. It makes you
focused. There was a professional photographer there so I asked him to take
photos if and when he saw us,

http://cars.brakeysolutions.co.uk/uploaded_images/262_Ring_06_200.jpg

http://cars.brakeysolutions.co.uk/uploaded_images/262_Karrosel_06_200.jpg

There is a better trip report here

http://nurburgring.org.uk/trip_reports/trip49/index.html

It is not permitted to video your drive around the Ring any more so
obviously this video of part of a lap was taken before the ban, there is a
rather blurry version here on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTvfb7cz4xU

or a clearer 110mb version which is here

http://cars.brakeysolutions.co.uk/nurburgring_1.asp

Anybody who thinks that I am not going fast enough is quite right, but I
challenge them to come and do better, it would be great to have a ZR1
gathering at this icon of motorsport.

If you do watch I recommend turning on the speakers, so you can hear the old
Flowmasters and it gives a better understanding of what is going on in the
car.

James Young

1991 VIN J #262 Red/Red

Problems? Contact Dave Bright at: [log in to unmask]
TOPICS: TECH: or NONTECH:
http://www.zr1netregistry.com