ZR1NET January 2003

Re: TECH: Clutch switch replacement

Gary L James <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Jan 2003 15:58:58 -0600

text/plain

On a 91 its possible to display diagnostic information on
the speedometer display.  You have to short a couple
of pins together on the aldl connector and select the information
you want to display by pressing the buttons on the driver
information control.  The details are in the service
manual.  I think its in the ccm section.

One of the diagnostics you can display is the resistance
value read from the ignition key.  When my security
system was causing me problems, I found that
when I wiggled the key the resistance would change.

The problem turned out to be the wires that connect
to the resistance contacts in the ignition switch.
When you turn the key, the wires rub against a
a sharp edge in the switch.  One of my wires
had worn through and was shorting out.  I replaced
the wire on mine and it fixed the problem.

Gary James
91 #1933