Re: NONTECH: Luxury TAX

"C.J. Heidel" <[log in to unmask]>

C.J. Heidel

Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:48:42 -0500

text/plain

I make my living as a Tax Coordinator for two very large Worldwide
Corporations (Both of which everyone should know by name) and, appropriately
enough, I do most of the Car Lease/Sales for the company.

In the 2002 Federal RIA Tax Handbook, the code states:

Retail Excise Taxes:  Passenger ("luxury") vehicles (weighing 6,000lbs or
less).  For 2001, 4% of excess of sale price over $38,000; for 2002, 3% of
excess sale price over $40,000 (amount as calculated by RIA bosed on CPI
figures); tax expires after 2002.  Special rules apply to electric and clean
burning fuel vehicles. (|P| 1118 Pg. 40)

Rick is correct in his reference stating that Luxury Taxes should be paid by
the dealer, in the case of a "New" car purchase.  Different rules apply to
used vehicles, wherein, the buyer of a person to person transaction of a
used vehicle would likely have to account for reasonable compensation should
the car exceed such values.  But, most likely, the luxury taxes would have
already been paid upon the original purchase of the vehicle from the dealer
as a "New" vehicle, unless it was never issued an MSO.

Good luck.  It is the principles that matter most.

-C.J. Heidel
Winston-Salem, NC
84 Z51 4+3
84 Z52