Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ZR1NET Home

ZR1NET  January 2003

ZR1NET January 2003

TECH: Hello All!!!

"Dr. Dwight Eickmeier" <[log in to unmask]>

Dr. Dwight Eickmeier

Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:25:26 -0500

text/plain

Hello all you die hard ZR1 members,

Just dropping you all a line to let you know that I have just joined your
ranks!!!  This is a very cool way of exchanging information!!

Some info on my ride:  1990 Red/Saddle ZR1, #2043, LT5 Registry #814

I purchased my car in April 02 - I was looking to buy a used vette (spend
maybe $10,000.00 U.S.), and after looking to buy a '85 vette 4+3 with 12K
kilometers and having it sold out from under me by the private sellor (I
offered to forward $100 to hold it, but to no avail) - so then I saw a nice
93 polo/tan ZR1 with less than 8K kilometers on it - so I figured I'd call,
*just to see what the price was*, and sure enough it had already sold (just
been listed on autotrader.ca), BUT, the new owner traded in his 90
Red/Saddle, and the salesman said that it was in showroom condition, with
only a worn driver's floor mat. So I made an appointment for the next day to
have a look.

Once in their showroom which consisted of Z06s, Vipers, Grandsport, 911s and
NSXs, I saw #2043 - it was in excellent condition, as touted.  Only a few
chips marred the paint on the hood, and the interior was spotless, still
smelled like new.  Had only 22K miles on it, and brand new GSCs on perfect
original alloys.  I asked him how much he wanted - he said "$40,000 - no
negotiation (that's about $25,000 u.s.)" and I said "I'll take it!!"

In my haste I realized that I hadn't even heard the car run, but it was in
such pristine shape, that I figured it had to be in primo condition - the
sale was contingent on a test drive.  I waited 3 weeks to take delivery due
to the snow up here, and upon delivery I was not disappointed.  Smooth as a
kitten, and powerful as a Tiger!!!  That summer I noticed it had a DRM chip
- (the stock chip was in the console), and a K+N filter,  and my only
modification was the addition of a Corsa exhaust system.

The dynojet showed a SAE corrected hp rating of 345 rwhp, and 341 rwtq.  Not
too shabby for a mostly stock Z!  This wasn't enough for me though, and I
had heard rumors of Lingenfelter ending the LT5 modification packages soon,
so I decided to have mine modified before they quit working their magic -
and why not ship in the fall, and get it back before winter?   So I decided
to have the boys at LPE do me up a 368 cid package - also, I had them
install the ZR51 C-beam plates, upgraded the front brakes to Baer/Alcon 13.5
inch rotors, 4 piston calipers, stainless steel braided brake lines,
stainless works 2 inch primary headers, random tech catalysts hooked up to
my Corsa system.  They also opened up my air filter housing for me.  Oh
yeah, I almost forgot, I also bought chrome A-molds from the dealer I
purchased the car from, and installed eagle F1 supercar tires in stock sizes
after reading Hib Halverson's article on these sweet tires.

So now the dyno says 440 rwhp and 402 rwtq!!  A good improvement to be sure,
but I feel that a few more ponies are to be unleashed in the exhaust system,
so the Corsa is to be sold, and a B+B with X-pipe is going in its place - I
plan on doing dyno before and after for comparison as well.

I have been active on the Corvette forum, and just recently joined the LT5
registry forum, corvetteactioncenter as well.  This membership will be my
favorite I am guessing!!

Next to go on are my sill plates from IAMVETTE, with hood decal and rear
license surround!!  I have also ordered HID headlights from Sylvania (great
price at $500) and also a new gtech pro competition - I'll let you all know
how these two fair after the install!!

Anyway, I've rambled enough,

Have a great evening!!

Dwight

Problems? Contact Dave Bright at: [log in to unmask]
TOPICS: TECH: or NONTECH:
http://www.zr1.net