Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ZR1NET Home

ZR1NET  January 2003

ZR1NET January 2003

TECH: Bose system repair

"Lovvorn II, Barry D" <[log in to unmask]>

Lovvorn II, Barry D

Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:52:23 -0700

text/plain

Well, my audio system is completely working after having months of one thing
or another broken.

The rear speaker amps were replaced just before I bought the car 18 months
ago.

The front amps failed within days of each other, and I convinced Bose to
repair them for free after sending in the receipt for the repair of the
rears.

The plastic gear of the antenna mast broke, so I bought a replacement mast
and fixed that, only to have the motor itself fail a month later. Over
Christmas I bought a whole new antenna assembly and replaced it. On a
sidebar, the service manual says to remove the inner fender well, but I
couldn't figure out why until I helped my son work on his L98 C4 and then
realized that the extra 1.5" of fender width makes BIG difference.

The CD player was working well when I first bought the car, but over the
last 6 months or so it degraded to where it would only play some of my CDs
some of the time, and none of them if the car had been left out in the cold
for any length of time. I found that Doctor Don was auctioning off his
repair service for $125 on ebay, so I took advantage and shipped it off to
him the Saturday before Christmas and got it back last Friday. He did a
terrific job, and CDs now play with more volume and clarity than ever. I
highly recommend his service, and he also provides a warranty on the
repairs.

So I've now got a like-new system with all the pieces under warranty for at
least some period of time.

For those that say to go aftermarket, I want to keep the car as stock as
possible. Besides, I couldn't come close to replacing it for the $200 I
invested in the repairs, and I actually think it sounds good when working
properly (MHO).

Barry

'91 #1754

Barry Lovvorn

Storage Technology Corp.

Global Learning Solutions

Manager, Learning Products Organization

x32114

pager 800 401-5613

Problems? Contact Dave Bright at: [log in to unmask]
TOPICS: TECH: or NONTECH:
http://www.zr1.net