ZR1NET  June 2018

ZR1NET June 2018

Re: Alternator problems

Tue, 12 Jun 2018 13:37:05 -0400

text/plain

Hi All,

I had an L98 that kept blowing the alternator. It happens if you run your car with a weak battery. I had my alternator rebuilt by a great local guy who put in heavy duty diodes (WHAT KEPT GOING BAD). No problem after that-plus I was more diligent about battery charge/tender use.

Have your original rebuilt with heavy duty diodes and do not run the car without a fully charged battery (no half charge with enough to start the car).

Bob Weiss

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Baine <[log in to unmask]>
To: ZR1NET <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Jun 12, 2018 11:34 am
Subject: Re: [ZR1NET] Alternator problems

Wow, that's not much usage between pieces at 13K and 17K miles.  It's a PITA to have to keep re-doing that removal/replacement procedure.

As I mentioned, I've used a local electrical rebuilder for many years (when needed of course).  I've never ever had to replace one of those rebuilt units.  You might want to look into this to avoid having to keep repeating replacements.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea of the specific differences between the AutoZone parts.  I think you'd have to ask them to have one of the ZR-1 units brought in and then compare them directly on the counter.  You might want to take a digital caliper with you.

Savin’ the Wave and the Mother Road!

Dave